[DECtec] Problem Installing Ultrix on DECstation 2100 (MIPS)

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 13 15:29:32 GMT 2014

Now that I have a bootable CD-ROM I am encountering a different problem that
I am struggling to surmount.

After choosing the type of installation (basic or advanced) it tries to
offer the system disk selection. However, it keeps failing because it is
detecting the CD-ROM drive and saying it has an invalid block size. I can
hear it spin up the hard disk that I want to install on, so it should be
finding a suitable hard disk, but it looks like it keeps choking on the
CD-ROM drive. I can't tell if it is failing to see the hard disk properly,
but when I tried NetBSD on the same disk, and in the same machine, it is
fine.

Just in case anyone suggests installing NetBSD first, I am finding that the
disk is actually too small for NetBSD to fit.

Regards

Rob